Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Easy Chicken Orzo

Due to some drama around the Fantastic household, we've had to make some life changes. One of which is cutting the grocery bill, dramatically.

I'm not too broken up about it, as I think it's kind of a neat experiment into looking at super-cheap meal options. 

I know that realistically, more stay-at-home dads are more interested in quick, easy and cheap meals anyway, so maybe it's a good thing!

Anyway, I give you:

Easy Chicken Orzo

Adapted from here

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 pound orzo
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
Black pepper

==

I started by putting a pot of water on the boil.

In the meantime, I sliced up my chicken and tossed it in a pan with some butter over med/high heat. 

Season with salt and pepper and a dash of thyme.



Once your water comes to a boil, toss in your orzo. You can season the water with 2 tablespoons of salt for some extra flavor.


Turn your chicken when you get some color on it. 

Pull the chicken and set aside to rest when it's done. (Check the temp for 160-165F)


When its cool enough to handle slice it thin across the grain.



==

When your orzo is done, drain it in a fine colander and hold on to it.


Get the pot you cooked the pasta in back on the heat and add some butter and the onion and thyme. 


When the onion has softened (about 5-7 minutes) add the milk and soup.

Give it a good stir and boost the heat to high.


When you start to see the mixture bubble, add the parsley, orzo and chicken (sorry, no pic of that!).


Give it a good stir let everything come up to temp. Taste for additional salt. I added some.

Serve with grated parmesan cheese.

Overall the dish was really good. Simple, creamy, and satisfying. My wife and daughter loved it and it was a snap to throw together. I love meals that pretty much take the time for water to boil to make the whole thing.

Even better, there were leftovers, so free lunch the next day!

I hope you will enjoy the upcoming "cheaper" recipes I'll be making. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...