Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Southern Style Biscuits and Gravy

I'll preface this recipe with the fact that I realize that this is probably the fattiest recipe I've ever posted. Probably ever made for that matter. It's Paula Deen's recipe, modified a bit, so there's a level of fat I'd expect, but man, this is some next level grease here. 

That being said, it's still biscuits and gravy, and therefore delicious, no matter the fat content.

I grew up in the south. I love biscuits and gravy. I order it most breakfast places I go to. I've probably eaten it in 20 states. I love it.

This recipe combines sausage and bacon in the white, peppery gravy. This is about as southern as you can get for breakfast (or dinner!).

So, let's take a trip to Dixie.

Southern Style Biscuits and Gravy


12oz tube of breakfast sausage
4 slices, thick cut bacon, diced
3/4 cup flour
4 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon butter


==

Start by adding 4 slices of bacon to a pan over med/high heat. 



Let it cook until it's about half way done.


Add your sausage.


While that browns, get your flour together.


Let the meat cook for about 10 minutes until it is nice and brown. The fat will be nearly foaming. 

At this point, you could probably pour off some fat and use less flour in the next step, but I don't have exact measurements for that. Just go for the grease and be happy)


Add your flour and begin to stir.

You want to keep stirring until the flour turns light yellow. Flaxen.


Flaxen. Nice.
Get your milk together.


Pour in the milk in batches and turn the heat to high.

Keep stirring to get things even. Don't worry, it'll be really lumpy for a while.


Keep adding milk until you're out. Stirring.


Add your pepper and continue to stir as it comes up to temp. Taste for salt. It'll need some, surprisingly.


As it nears a boil, it'll thicken up considerably.


Finish with a pat of butter. Gratuitous? Yes. Optional? Yes.


To serve, cut a few biscuits in half. You can fry them in a pan, face down with some butter for some extra texture, but I didn't this time around.


Slather on the gravy and consume.

Overall, this version of biscuits and gravy was very tasty. The addition of the bacon adds a nice dimension to the gravy. The gravy is rich and thick and perfect with the biscuits.

Yes, it was a little greasy for me, but it took me back to the small diners in the south where this is not only common, but expected.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...