Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grilled Chicken Steaks with Tomatoes and Provolone Sauce



Got this recipe while cruising the internets. 

Looked really simple and I was in the mood for something easy.

Grilled Chicken Steaks with Tomatoes and Provolone Sauce

Adapted from Rocco Dispirito's recipe from cookster.com

1 1/4 pounds chicken thighs, ground
1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
2 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
1 medium red onion, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup shredded provolone cheese

==

I started by cleaning up my chicken thighs. I bought the boneless/skinless variety on sale.



Just get the nasty bits off.


Toss them into a food processor. This works best if they are slightly frozen. Pop them in the freezer for 15 minutes or so to get a good chill on them before "grinding".


Get your fresh rosemary together. This gets strong quick as the original recipe calls for 3 tablespoons. I thought this was a bit much, so I'd recommend scaling it back a bit, but it's up to you. If you love rosemary, go for 3 tablespoons. I think 1.5 or even 1 tablespoon would suffice.


Chop it finely.


Toss it in with the chicken.


Give it a few pulses and check the consistency.


I went for a pretty fine grind, scraping the bowl every few pulses.


Form the chicken into patties and chill until ready for service. I think I did around 4 oz portions.



==

When you're ready to eat, fire up a grill pan on high heat.

Get your veggies cut up.



Lube them up with a little oil and season with salt and pepper and toss on the grill.



The tomatoes cooked in almost no time. Keep an eye on them.

I have this pic of them, but I ended up switching the order for the final plate. 


The onions took a bit longer, but you'll know they're done when they get charred and pretty soft. 


Meanwhile, season up your chicken patties.


Clean the grill if you want and toss them on the pan (lubed with a little oil as well).


Cook until they are firm and juices run clear. Set them aside to rest for a few minutes while you make the cheese sauce.


==

Get your cheese ready. I think I used 6 slices as I didn't have any shredded provolone on hand.


Dice it finely.



Get a sauce pan ove medium heat and add the cornstarch and condensed milk. 


Bring it to a boil.


Add the cheese and whisk until smooth.


Smooth:


Season with some salt and pepper to taste.


Serve by layering the chicken then the onion and tomato, topped with the cheese sauce.

The dish was very good. It was a clean dish, not much got in the way of the onion, and the tomato. I loved that you could taste the chicken as "chicken" and not as a bland ground "meat product". The cheese sauce was awesome and I think it made the dish. It brought everything together very well.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Simple, quick and easy.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...