Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Chipotle BBQ burger & Slaw


This is a quick recipe that turned out pretty good. I was in the mood for a BBQ/Southwest style burger and thought this looked great.

I'm also a sucker for slaw on burgers.

Chipotle BBQ burger & Slaw
(from here)

Burgers:

1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1teaspoon to 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce (to taste, these are hot)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large egg
4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns

Slaw:
2 cups cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

==

I made the slaw first because it always tastes better after a few hours in the fridge. Make it in the morning if you can.

Just combine all of the ingredients into a bowl.


Give it a good stir. I'd stir for a solid minute.

Stash it in the fridge until dinner.


==

The burgers are just as easy.

Combine all the burger ingredients (not the buns) in a bowl.


Mix to combine, but try not to over-mix it. Using your hands is a good way to go on this one.


I went ahead and pre-portioned the burgers and stored them in the fridge until dinner.

I got 4 regular-sized patties and one small one for my daughter.

I just made the small one first, then split the remaining meat into quarters. 


==

When you're ready to cook, season the patties liberally with salt.


Slap them into a ripping hot skillet, lube with a little oil. Cast iron is perfect for this job.


Cook until they are crispy and flip (they look more black than they were. It tasted really good with some char on it though). Continue cooking until your desired level of doneness is reached.


Serve with maybe some more BBQ sauce and of course a healthy dollop of the slaw. I found sweet potato fries were a great side.

I thought the burgers were pretty good. I only put a teaspoon of chipotle chiles in this and I could have used more heat. If you use a Kansas City style sauce, the sweetness is a nice pair with the smokiness of the chiles.

Overall it was a satisfying meal.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...