Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Sweet Potato Crackers


I've probably mentioned it a few times, but my daughter LOVES sweet potatoes. She devours them any way I give them to her.

I had a bunch just sitting on my counter and wanted to try something different. I thought that a cracker or chip or something would a nice application for them, so I went searching for a recipe. I found some interesting cookie recipes (which I'll probably make soon) and this cracker recipe.

They turned out surprisingly good and we managed to eat all of them before bed.

I know it's not the best or most healthy way to eat sweet potatoes but they were a great little snack.

Sweet Potato Crackers
(from here)

1 cup of mashed sweet potato
1.5 cups AP plain flour (will likely need more)
2.5 tablespoons baking powder
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp salt
~1/4 cup milk
Kosher salt
Chinese 5 spice
Brown sugar

==

Steam or bake your sweet potatoes. I like to do them peeled, in the microwave, covered in plastic wrap. That way I don't have much waste. I go about 5 minutes for a group this size (this is actually a pound).


Get your 1.5 cups AP plain flour, 2.5 tablespoons baking powder, 3 tablespoons butter and 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor or mixer.


Buzz until you have a crumbly texture.


When your sweet potatoes are done mash them up.


I used my stick blender.

Add a little milk if they are stiff. Don't go past 1/4 cup. I used maybe 1 tablespoon.


Buzz buzz buzz.


Add the 1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes to the flour.

You can add a touch of brown sugar and chinese 5 spice (or cinnamon) at this point.


Give it a mix.


Keep going until everything is incorporated.


Add flour in small increments until you have a stiff dough.


This will work:


Turn out onto your work surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. 


I let the dough rest for 15 minutes or so. It will absorb a lot of flour and be much less sticky.


Divide the dough into at least 4 pieces. I think I'll even do 6 or 8 next time.


Roll out your dough as flat as you can.

I like to use a sheet of parchment or the silpat so I know how big I'm making my sheet.


I am atrocious at rolling dough flat and even, so do your best.

You can also sprinkle on some salt here and give it a light roll to embed in the cracker.


Cut into squares using a pizza wheel. It's by far the best tool for the job.


Slide your mat to your pan and bake at 400F for about 10-12 minutes. Start checking at halfway for uneven browning.


You can flip them mid-cooking, but I felt that was too much work. They turn out fine just leaving them be.


That's it!

Repeat for the rest of the batches of dough and you'll be surprised how much it makes.

I found these crackers really pleasing. The salt worked really well against the slightly sweet sugar/5 spice/sweet potato dough. They didn't end up extremely crunchy, but that was my fault in not rolling them thinly. They were still a really good snack. My daughter killed a whole bowl no problem and we finished the whole batch that night.

It was kind of a fun way to use sweet potatoes in a different application and I was very happy to eat them.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...