Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bulk Chicken Trick


I always buy bulk chicken breasts, on the bone and chicken thighs, on the bone. I portion them into ziplock bags and put them straight in the freezer. I use the "one breast equals one cup" for recipes, but this isn't always perfect, since some breasts are monstrous. When I need to over-prep chicken, I braise it and save the left over meat and keep the stock. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Just cut up an onion, carrot (I used some left over frozen ones) and celery stalk (I also throw in some thyme and a couple cloves of garlic) and toss them into a pot. Add a pat of butter and salt/pepper and let them cook for 3-4 minutes on medium.


Toss in your frozen breasts/thighs.

Pour water or boxed chicken broth halfway up the breasts.

Turn the heat to med-low and let the whole thing cook, covered, for about an hour.

When the chicken is done (check the temp to ensure 165F), break down what you need for the immediate recipe (in my case I only need 2 cups today, and this is about 3-4), and freeze the rest.

Strain your cooking liquid and freeze it for future use!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...