Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fried Fish Sandwiches with Coleslaw

Quick and easy one for dinner tonight.

I found some cheap Striped Pangasius Fillets at Trader Joe's and decided to make some sandwiches. 

I had some leftover Napa cabbage in the fridge, so I also made some coleslaw that turned out pretty good.

This recipe is really straightforward and couldn't be easier.

Fried Fish Sandwiches with Coleslaw

Fish:
1 lb white fish (cod, halibut, pangasius, haddock, etc.)
1/2 cup AP flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper

Coleslaw:
2 carrots, grated
3 cups napa cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper

Oil to fry (either pan fry or deep fry - up to you)

==

I made the coleslaw first as the longer it sits, the better it is.

Grate the carrots. 


Slice the cabbage.

I used something like 8 leaves. I cut them in half lengthwise then sliced them thin on the bias.


Get your sauce together.


Stir to combine.


Add the carrots and cabbage.


Stir to combine.

Taste it and adjust if you feel like it. I think I added a touch of lemon juice and a little more sugar.

Stash in the fridge until dinner.


==

When you're ready for dinner, get your fish out.


Portion it out and season LIBERALLY with salt and pepper on both sides. This fish is mild, so salt away.


Dredge in flour.


Dip in the egg wash (sorry, didn't get a pic) and toss in the Panko.


Throw the fish into the oil. I pan fried in about 1 cup of oil.


Add as many fillets as you can fit and cook until golden brown.


Pile the fish and coleslaw into a roll of some sort (I made my own, very dense and sweet, Potato Rolls that were really good with the fish) and dress how you see fit.

I didn't make tarter sauce on account of the slaw, but I did add a slice of cheese and a dose of Sriracha to bring it to the next level.

The fish ended up being awesome even on its own. The breading was light and crisp and the fish was moist and succulent.

The sandwich was fantastic and I'm glad I picked up another pound of fish from Trader Joe's for the future.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...