Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

(Leftover) Turkey Chili



I decided to make some chili with some of the leftover dark meat from Thanksgiving. I had enough that I made another dish that I will not speak of because it was terrible.

This was good though.

I made my own turkey stock with the wings and thigh bones and some carrots, onion and celery. I cooked it at a simmer for about 4 hours until I got it really well developed. Strain and save for whatever.

Maybe...chili!

(Leftover) Turkey Chili


2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 jalapeño, finely diced (optional, but it doesn't add a lot of heat if you remove the seeds and membrane)
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon, taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon of AP flour
Salt to taste
1 (14.5oz) can of diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup of corn
2-3 cups of diced turkey meat
4 cups of turkey stock (or chicken stock)
1 (14.5oz) can of beans (kidney or pinto or black beans, etc.) (optional, if you think beans have no place in chili, don't use them)

==

I'll apologize that I didn't take a lot of pics, but I think you'll get it.

Chili is one of those things you can't really mess up unless you over-salt it. Which I tend to do, so be careful.

Start by tossing in the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic into a pot over medium heat with the oil.


Cook for about 5 minutes and add the cumin, chili powder, mustard, pepper and taco seasoning.


Cook the spices for about a minute and add the flour.

Combine well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.


Add the tomatoes, corn and tomato paste.


Next, add the turkey stock.


Throw in the turkey and beans (if using).


Stir well to combine and cook for as long as you have.

I usually do this in the oven at 300F for 4-5 hours.


After a couple hours:


If you have a lot of liquid in the pot, transfer to the stovetop and cook at medium/high heat until it thickens up a bit.

Beware of your salt as it will intensify as you reduce the liquid.


Overall, this was a nice chili.

It tasted of beef in a lot of ways and I think the beans add a lot to the texture of the dish. I loved the roasted corn (from Trader Joe's) and thought that this was a great dish for leftover turkey.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...