Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fettuccine with Asparagus and Carrots in Creamy Alfredo

Noodles two days in a row?

Of course! I love me some noodles.

Today's recipe is pretty straightforward, so I'm not going to complicate it. I was going to do the same pasta with asparagus that I made last time, but I wanted to do the more "American-creamy-fettuccine-Alfredo" classic sauce. 

I just searched teh internets quick and decided on the recipe.

Fettuccine with Asparagus and Carrots in Creamy Alfredo

1 bunch fresh asparagus spears
1 package (12 ounces) fettuccine (I made mine fresh (2 eggs, 200g flour), but you don't have to unless you want to practice!)
1/2 of a large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste

==

As I said above, I made my noodles fresh, again. I really think they are superior and I implore you to make them yourself. It takes me 30 minutes, start to finish and they cook in 4. And they are delicious.

After you have the pasta ready, turn your attention to the veggies. 

Only four things to prep.

1. Snap the asparagus and cut it into 1/2" sections. 
2. Dice half the onion
3. Mince the garlic
4. Slice the carrot pretty thinly

Set everything aside and get a pot of water on the boil. 



Get a pan over medium/high heat and add the stick of butter.


Let it melt and come up to temp and toss in the onions and garlic along with about a teaspoon of salt and maybe 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper. 

Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they get soft. We're not trying to brown them here. Also, make sure the garlic doesn't brown.


Throw in the asparagus and carrots. Cook for 7 minutes. (The recipe was strangely specific about times and I followed them and it turned out great, so please do the same.)

If you're using dry pasta, get it in boiling water about now.



Add the chicken broth and 2 teaspoons of basil. Cook on HIGH for 4-5 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by about 1/3.

If you're using fresh pasta get it in the water now. 


Drop the heat to medium and add the cream. Cook for 3 minutes.


Toss in the pasta and toss to coat. 


Sprinkle in the cheese and cook on low until everything's gooey and hot.


Check for salt and pepper before serving. 

Big pan of pasta.
Garnish with some cheese. 

Great meal overall. Very rich and reminded me of the "classic" dishes I've had in any number of restaurants. Everything was cooked well, not too overdone, which I was nervous about. The basil and pepper worked great and balanced out the sweetness of the carrots and the creaminess in the sauce. 

Another keeper, and easy!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...