Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sloppy Joe Casserole

I'm not entirely sure how I came across this recipe but I know I was in the mood for biscuits.

This recipe is from Pillsbury's site and has a few "name-brand" items in it. I'm not against corporate recipes as they are normally pretty good in the end. And really quick.

There are few things I like more than a casserole when I'm hungry and this one delivered.

Sloppy Joe Casserole
(from here)

1lb. lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped 
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1(10 3/4-oz.) can condensed chicken gumbo soup (could only find name brand)
1(10 3/4-oz.) can condensed tomato soup (I used off brand)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1(12-oz) can "layered style" refrigerated biscuits (I used the off brand with success)


==

Put a little oil in a pan and toss in the onion and celery. Season with some salt and pepper.

Cook over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. I tried to get some of the crunch out of the celery.


Toss in the ground beef (season with some salt and pepper) and cook until it is no longer pink.

It took me about 10-12 minutes.


Drain the beef mixture and return it to the pan.


Add the soups, the Worcestershire sauce and mustard.


Give it a stir and bring to a boil.

Go ahead and preheat the oven to 375F.

Simmer for 5-8 minutes or until it thickens up a bit. It's not going to be really tight.


Pour the sloppy joe mixture into a 2 quart baking dish.


Remove the biscuits and cut them each in half.


Place them as best as you can in the pan, cut side down.

I cut one of the halves in half to give it symmetry.


Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.


Scoop out some biscuit and some meat and consume.

This turned out really good. I loved the dijon mustard in the mix. It reminded me a bit of chili, but definitely had the "sloppy joe" thing going on. All the veggies were cooked perfectly and the meat had a great texture along with the rice from the gumbo soup.

The biscuits turned out well too. They absorbed a lot of the excess liquid but crisped up nicely.

I guess you have to hand it to corporate recipe developers. They make cheap, easy and delicious meals on the whole. I think I may actually make more of these types of dishes in the future.

There were no leftovers.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks delish. I swear, one day I will make one of the recipes you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you should! this one is really easy, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...