Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Homemade Cranberry Sauce


Like most of us, I've only ever had cranberry sauce from a can. I never really thought it would be worth making it from scratch...until I made it from scratch!

This is unbelievably easy to make. It took 12 minutes start to finish and was actually pretty fun! I loved the way the cranberries split then almost instantly turned into jelly. I find stuff like that really neat.

Homemade Cranberry Sauce
(from here)

12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

==

I got a 12 oz bag of cranberries, so I didn't even have to weigh them. Do inspect them for any weirdness first though. Mine were perfect.

Toss them into a small pot.


Add a cup of white sugar.


Add 1/2 cup of water.


Add 2 tablespoons orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt.


Fire up the burner to high.


Give it a good stir.

This goes pretty fast, so don't walk away from it. Give it a stir every so often to make sure it isn't sticking to the bottom. I didn't have any problems with it.


Once it reaches a boil, back the heat down to medium and start stirring.


You'll see the cranberries start to split.


Once this happens, press the berries against the side of the pot.


It'll turn to jelly almost immediately! Cool!


Depending on how chunky you want your sauce, keep stirring and smashing until you like the consistency.


I made mine like a slightly chunky jam.

Kill the heat and let it cool for 30 minutes. You can make this like a week ahead of time too!

==

The flavor of this cranberry sauce is almost incomparable to the canned stuff. It tastes rich, full, tart and sweet. A great compliment to your Thanksgiving (or any occasion) table.

It takes so little effort that I implore you to give this a try!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...